Thursday, May 3, 2012

Let's Scrap INSD Challenge #2-Grungy Style!!

Hi everyone! So over at Let's Scrap, one of the challenges for INSD is Eniko's challenge to "Try on a Different Scrapbooking Style". I've never really thought about what my style is or knew how to classify it. If you want to know what category you fall into check out this challenge as Eniko has it all there for you so you can find out what you usually are. My typical style is usually a combination of Cutesy and Whimsical. So my first try outside my style is Grungy and I've been wanting to try grungy for some time now as I've seen so many beautiful layouts in this style but didn't really know how to do it and didn't have some of the right stuff to do the techniques with. So here is my take on Grungy style! 

I used Let's Scrap's sketch 6-1-10. I flipped it a bit.

This is the paper I started with. It's just a light tan paper with words all over it.
My next step was crumpling up this paper and then smoothing it out again. I used Tim Holtz's black soot distress ink and went around the edges and in some spots I really laid on the ink to get heavier distressing. I also experimented with the walnut stain distress stain. I just pushed down on it quickly to try and get some splatters(kind of like something was spilled on it). I wasn't quite sure how things were going to line up so I did it in several spots. 
 I then spritzed all over with Tattered Angel's black magic glimmer mist. After doing all this and drying the paper, I did mount this paper on a black piece of cardstock to make it more solid and it actually helped the blended on the edges with the distressing and the edges lift up off the cardstock which I thought was a cool effect also.
 I found this beautiful blue paper that already had a faded look and had distressed edges on it but I ripped a chunk off and then I inked it again with the black soot stamp pad.
 Before I glued the paper down, I put a piece of black lace trim underneath of it.

 I stamped a Tim Holtz stamp in the corner of a man holding an umbrella.
 I then laid down my title and some flowers and I'll explain more about my title in just a moment. This photo is of a storm that rolled through Bismarck in the summer and the clouds were just fierce and it poured so hard! It was cool.
A close-up of the paper still showing the words but now with the aged look. 
 So this title I used chipboard and I painted it with Tim Holtz's white picket fence crackle paint! Awesome product. Once it starts to dry, it creates cracks on the chipboard and gives it a weather look. I didn't want the title to be so white and so after it dried I went over it lightly with black soot ink pad again and I really like how it came out. You can really see the cracks after this!
 I also added the Tim Holtz stamp quote on the bottom left and it says "lif is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain". Love this quote!! I stamped this in broken china and then inked around the edges with broken china and black soot.


 I also added this Tim Holtz faucet embellishment which gave it a nice touch I thought.
I then decided I wanted the flowers to wrap around the photo and connect with the flowers around the quote so I added more of that which I liked so much more. 


There you have it. My first try at grungy. I think I will definitely do it again. I love the aged look and love the distressing process and the fact that it's kind of a gamble how your distressing might turn out depending on how you do things.

I might also try to do a Shabby Chic style as well. I really don't like floral patterns and pastels are really not my favorite but I love vintage and I'm thinking the next step outside my style will be Shabby.

Hope you enjoyed my grungy-ness and thanks for looking! Now go play along with Eniko's challenge!! :)



2 comments:

  1. AN AWESOME LAYOUT !! Great job on the challenge.. I wanna try Artsy.. I hate getting my hands dirty so that is a real challenge for me.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. great take on the sketch and i love your step by step process!!!

    ReplyDelete